Being at home and in order to stay safe against all the impurities and infections ,we take enormous steps towards cleanliness , eating clean food and also against overall dirt.
Also in order everyone to stay home as per our Government order , all the shops and markets are also opened only for few hours and closed before 7pm , on the process of getting some basic food like milk, eggs , bread , vegetables and fruits amidst all this time restrictions requires lot of planning your pantry list which requires some basic items ,and the very first which comes in that list would be BREAD
What if i say making bread becomes so easy and clear with the help of clear instructions and pictures given below and most importantly it being healthy ?
Lets get to the recipe – WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
The ingredients would almost be in your pantry or stock except that you would need some instant active dry yeast or dry yeast, which is available in all the super markets.
If you have instant yeast , you dont have to wait for the proofing process , but if you have normal dry yeast , you should probably proof it before adding to your flour
Proofing dry yeast
In a cup of lukewarm water ( not too hot or chill , medium warm , where the heat is bearable ) , add in your sugar and yeast , stir it and wait for some 10 minutes , once you see some bubbles and foamy structure on the surface of the cup , your yeast is active and ready to incorporate
Note : This process can be totally avoided if its instant active dry yeast .
For this whole wheat bread , i used instant active dry yeast , so i directly incorporated in my dough
- 500 gms Whole wheat flour – 4 cups
- 1 + 1/2 TSP active dry yeast or instant yeast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Little lukewarm water
- Normal water for kneading
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Melted butter and milk mixture
- Take a large bowl , add in the flour , make a small well inside , add in the instant yeast , sugar and some lukewarm water , give a stir and you can see some quick bubbles since it being instant yeast if not kindly follow the yeast proofing process in my croissant recipe – https://myeasybake.com/2019/12/06/step-by-step-whole-wheat-croissants/
Add some more water and try to form a dough and move it to a work area or any clean surface ( make sure its clean) and dusted with some flour
Proper kneading is very essential for breads and being whole wheat bread( wheat should be molded well for softness) , kindly put in your effort and time to knead well , it can be done proper drag and drop dough.
You should be kneading for atleast 10 to 15 minutes.But if you have a stand mixer , you can just allow your grinder for 10 minutes.
Refer my instagram page where i have included detailed step by step kneading process – https://www.instagram.com/surya_venkateswaran/
2. Once a smooth dough after all the kneading is formed , grease a bowl and place the dough in it cover it with a wet cloth, if you have a hot or humid climate , place the bowl anywhere as it would rise well in hot temperature , if you have a cold one , try to place it inside a oven which is off , in order to maintain that warmth for the dough
3. Once the dough is doubled in size , might take 1 to 2 hours depending upon your climate and temperature , take the dough out and again knead it for 2 minutes , place it straight away on a cleaned surface and leave it on the counter for 10 more minutes
4. Take your Loaf tin , mine is 7.5 to 8 inch so i knead to shape and roll my dough accordingly , try to make your dough into a rectangular shape , fold tuck in and place it inside the load tin , even the dough inside the tin. The dough should again be proofed for 1 more hour or until it fills the tin or slightly more rised from the tin
5. Preheat your oven for 200 degrees for 10 minutes , place the loaf tin and set the time for 40 minutes
Note – Check in every 15 minutes , if you find the bread surface getting brown too quickly ,kindly take the tin out gently , cover it with a aluminium foil or any butter paper , if the color is satisfying , just leave it the way.
I would suggest you to extend your baking for 5 or 10 more minutes , as it being dough , it fully depends on your oven and flour type to cook in , so extra few minutes wont matter
Once baked , take it out allow it too cool well for around 1 to 2 hours, and then slice it
This being whole wheat , you cant expect too soft fluffy loaf, instead it would be a nice thick dense loaf.
Its suggested to toast it with some butter and have it warm then just away.
Making your own bread is always soothing !