Next, now again with a healthy twist, a try with the recipe which I came across recently and gave it a try with my homemade brown sugar caramelized sauce.
To be honest and no self-praise it came out well, dint expects this much as I wasn’t still sure since I replaced a few of the steps with different ones.
Again a mention that it’s so easy to bake with the ingredients which are available in the markets and nothing too distinct and difficult to reach out
this Bar contains 3 layers
- the base – oats flour dough
- brown sugar caramel layer
- any customized topping – ( i used berries, you can substitute it with any of the most your preferred toppings like berries, nuts, and even choco chips.
Let’s get started!
- 1 cup Quick instant oats
- 1 + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or maida
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup – 12 tbsp – unsalted butter – softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cup – 12 tbsp – brown sugar – any refined brown sugar readily available
Note: you can even try the traditional jaggery, by making sure it’s powdery and crashed well and not too sticky – just a try!
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
note Britannia cream cheese available in the market, or you can just double the amount of butter
- Customized topping – cranberries dried
Note: can be substituted with the following
- dried or fresh blueberries
- sliced almonds and walnuts
- Choco chips – will go well
Brown sugar Caramel sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar or any natural sugar – if it’s of bigger granules, can be powdered coarsely
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Some more butter to line the pan
Brown sugar Caramel sauce
- Refer to the below image for the ingredients and the products which I used and are readily available in the market.
2. Make sure the stove is in medium flame for the sauce preparation as the sugar maybe get burnt if the flame is kept high.
3. Take saucepan or milk pan, add in the Butter as a whole.
4. Allow the butter to melt fully, then add the milk and stir continuously, say for 2 minutes
5. add in the brown sugar and stir it contentiously ( don’t let it remain ) and then add the vanilla, stir it again
6. Stir in medium flame for about 5 to 1 minutes and once the sugar is well combined with the milk and butter, turn of the flame and pour it in the wide-open jar or bottle
note: The sauce to be kept in room temperature and then freezes, not to be put refrigerated when it’s hot, allow it to cool completely, can be prepared prior and refrigerated
7. the sauce gets thickened once refrigerated takes around 1 to 2 hours to thicken so try to prepare an ahead doing the bars
Note: Refer the above images for the caramel sauce consistency, it gets thickened as the above once refrigerated.
HAVE TO MENTION TO MAKE THE SAUCE HOMEMADE AND THE EFFORT IS OF REAL WORTH, AS IN IT FORMS THE SECRET INGREDIENT OF THE BAR AND IT WAS JUST SO GOOOD !! TRUST ME 🙂
BAR RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS
- take in a large or medium-size bowl, add in the softened butter, brown sugar and the cream cheese, using a hand whisk or electric beater, mix and beat it well until well combined and fluffy
Note: You can always use a wire whisk if you don’t have an electric beater or any kind of mixer at your home
2. In a separate bowl, add in the flour, oats, and salt and give a quick mix
3. add in the flour mixture to the above butter mix and using a spatula or any flat spoon and fold it gently, and take half of the dough or quarter of the dough and set it aside for the crumble topping
4. Line a 7 or 8 inches square pan, as I already mentioned in the croissant making, try to get one as much as possible, it will be highly useful, grease the side and bottom with the butter and line it with a parchment paper, make sure to cut the paper with the sides as in this recipe to be handled with the paper on sides and it may tend to stick on the sides.
5. take half of the dough, and put it in the pan, dust hands with some flour or water and try to press and spread evenly on the bottom of the pan.
note dust your hands with flour or water as the dough gets sticky and it gets hard to spread.
6. Preheat the oven to 175 to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit, bake it for 30 to 4 minutes, depends upon each of the ovens – sometimes it just takes some 20 minutes or so.
When to remove
- when the edges of the base turns golden.
- Top of the base slightly golden and not too much cooked
note : it should be half cooked not fully as we have our second bake
Refer the below image for the First bake :
7. Allow it to cool for some time and get ready with your homemade brown caramel sauce and the remaining dough
8. caramel sauce thickening: the caramel sauce when baked just like that tends to ooze out from the bar or any type of baking like cakes topping or filling and so it has to thicken before applying or filling.
9. add in 1 to 2 tbsp flour to the chilled sauce and mix it well, it will now look more thickened and it’s perfect for the spread and bake.
it will slightly pale brown color once it’s thickened, refer the above image, now its perfect to be spread-ed and baked.
10. spread the caramel sauce evenly on to the half-cooked oats base and also you can top it with some choco chips or nuts ( preferred ) or any berries, I used dried cranberries
note: choco chips will go well
11. Once topped with the berries, take in the remaining oats dough and make it crumble with your hands and just place it evenly on the top – this forms the final layer, make sure the crumble is well covered on the top
12. Second bake :
Place the layered and half-cooked oats base into the oven and again bake it for 30 minutes in the same temperature ( 180 degrees or 350 Fahrenheit )
when to remove :
- once the top layer turns nice golden brown
- it will remain soggy when touched, it’s perfect and no need to bake it more once the top layers turn brown, please remove it
- Allow it to cool to room temperature and freeze it for about 2 hours
- the bar gets hardened once frozen.
Important note: it has to be freeze for it to set well to cut into desired shapes, do not over bake as it remains soggy.
13. Once chilled, take a sandwich or sharp knife and slice it into square bars or any desired shapes.
the time is taken for the preparation of the 3 layers and double baking and again freezing, all these efforts are of total worth and it turned so well.
forms as the perfect snacking for the office going people, kids and anyone as it’s easy to handle and pack and filling.
It might require some effort for this recipe but the complexity level is very basic and low.
if you feel it has to be tried or impressed, trust me these efforts are so much worth 🙂
with your baked love,