After all the complicated recipes – ” croissants ” and the simple cupcakes, now on the go yet another very simple, very quick, easy lemon poppy seed ( Indian spice – kasakasa) cookies
Now with these citrus fruits, do go well with the bake, let it be any of the citruses – lemon or oranges adds so much rich flavor to the baked foods.
And that many bakers, ranging from the best bakers and to all the beginners or intermediate do try recipes with citrus, like lemon pound cake – I have already finished doing one of the lemon bundt cake and also added in my blog – please visit – https://myeasybake.com/2019/04/14/rich-classic-lemon-bundt-cake/ – please check it 🙂 and it did come out so well, and yet this is also a simple and easy one.
Now that I have to mention, I tried making these cookies in two ways – in two portions
- A regular flour and sugar lemon cookie
- A wheat and brown sugar lemon cookie
let’s get with the ingredients for the cookie recipe
- Lemon poppy seed cookie – regular flour ( maida ) & white sugar
- 1/2 + 1/4 cup – all-purpose flour ( or maida)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar – ( i recommend powdered for almost all the recipe only if your sugar is finely granulated, then you can use it as such )
- 1/4 tsp – baking soda
- 1/4 or pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 6 TBSP ( not tsp, bigger one ) – unsalted butter softened
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- Make sure your butter is softened at room temperature and not hard as in it gets difficult to beat it
- take a medium-size bowl, add in the butter, powdered sugar and cream it very well – better to powder it as it has to be creamy and no granules
Note: now its always easy and quick to use an electric beater to cream butter and sugar well to get that creamy mixture, if in case there is no electric beater no worried, use a hand wire mixer to beat it, and I too used a wire whisk to mix it well
please refer to the buttercream texture above.
- Now add in the egg, lemon zest, and 1TBSP lemon juice and again cream it well, by now it should be that well foamy creamy mixture
note: do not add more lemon juice as the cookies might get bitter.
refer the above image for the creamy mixture
- take a separate bowl, add in the flour, baking soda and powder, and the secret ingredient – POPPY SEEDS !!! 🙂 ( KASAKASA).
Do trust me adding these to the cookies gave so much flavor and taste :), you can even use black poppy seeds or even the white
black poppy seeds are not much available in our Indian market and so I used the regular white ones which we use for other south Indian recipes
black will give a good appearance as in that yellow cookie with that small black spots, try to get one, or else you can go with the regular white poppies
- mix the dry ingredients well, and it to the cream mixture above, and using a flat spoon or spatula fold the mixture well
once the mixture is folded, the cookie dough to be frozen for about 45 minutes to one hour.
- WHEAT LEMON COOKIES
just replace the flour and sugar with wheat and brown sugar ( any natural sugar of your choice, I used “parrys” brown sugar – readily available in supermarkets )
all other ingredients remain the same as of that regular flour lemon cookie
note: you can even add even more brown sugar more then a half a cup may be as the natural brown sugar doesn’t give much sweetness
- I prepared two types of cookie dough and freezes it in the refrigerator
Baking time and instructions
- preheat the oven for 175 degree Celsius for 10 minutes in convection mode
- butter the baking tray very well or use a parchment well – if needed butter on it as well
- remove the dough and either use a scoop or any round spoon or even make small balls and place it on the tray
- bake it for 20 to 35 minutes
Notes and observations
- the original recipe is said to be cakey cookie when baked, which will also taste well
- if in case you prefer crispy, brown cookies, increase your baking time to 35 minutes
- for a caky one – remove the tray out of the oven once the edge of the cookies gets brown within 15 minutes
- I did bake it for 35 minutes for the crispy brown one
- now, these cookies even baked for 35 minutes remain little caky in the middle AND THAT’S HOW COOKIES TO BE.
- you cant expect a very crispy biscuit type from this recipe
- do mention that wheat dough came out so well and even more delicious as the wheat got roasted and tasted so good.
Nice roasted brown color forms once baked well on either side.
The cookies once taken out the oven has to be cooled really well, preferably for 10 to 20 minutes as its the usual cookie instruction given all time, do not try to take the cookie once taken immediately.
As in this is again a very easy recipe do try it and come back 🙂
Will make sure to come back with a more exciting recipe very soon 🙂